Stone and Brick
- Measure the total surface area to be covered:
- Width x Height = Square footage
- Deduct for doors and windows
- For outside corners (a lineal foot of corner stone works out to be 1 square foot):
- Measure the lineal footage (height)
- Therefore you would calculate as follows:
- If total job is 400 square feet (including 60 lineal feet of corners) you would order 340 square feet of FLAT stones/brick and 60 feet of CORNER stones/bricks
(not necessary if going over unpainted or unsealed block or brick)
- Use the total square footage measurement (do not deduct for corners).
- One sheet of wire lath covers 18 square feet (27″ x 8′).
- Install smooth down, rough up. Install horizontally 6″ nailing pattern, nail securely on studs 4″. Wrap lath around corners.
Needed if going over wood, plaster board, etc.
It keeps the water from leaching out of the mortar too fast. 15# felt paper can be found at your local lumberyard.
One bag lasts quite a while if taken care of. Rinse out after each use.
Type “S” Mortar
You’ll need about 3 bags (80# each) of mortar for every 100 square feet of stone.
3 bags (50# each) per 1 bag mortar